Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Cross-Over Star

‘Rising Star’ (Melissa Majchrzak - NBAE/Getty Images)
‘Rising Star’ (Melissa Majchrzak - NBAE/Getty Images)

My rewind button on my DVR is almost shot and I still can’t fathom how he is pulling it off. I have seen it live, watched it over and over on ESPN, and replayed it many times on the Internet and it still happens at hyper-speed. I have tried breaking it down frame by frame, as if I am scanning the grassy knoll on the Zapruder film and I’m still left shaking my head in amazement. I am talking about the incredible signature moves by Deron Williams: The Killer Crossover and its evil twin The Dreaded Killer Double Crossover.

Williams has turned into Houdini in high-tops and he’s breakin’ more ankles than Kathy Bates in Misery. He’s shakin’ and bakin’ like Colonel Sanders and he’s bustin’ more moves than a clogger on crack. He’s making opposing guards head’s spin around like they’re in The Exorcist. Not since the Globetrotter’s Sweet Georgia Brown’s choreographed routine pulled on the Washington Generals have we seen such bewilderment and befuddlement with defenders flailing and grasping unsuccessfully after Williams and just knowing it’ll make SportsCenter that night.

Against his mentor Derek Fisher Friday night, Williams smoked his bud more times than Snoop Dog. In one season, the student not only became the teacher, but might as well be the bus driver too as he took Fisher to school all night long. William’s legend is growing fast as this video from Friday night’s Lakers game had been viewed over 238,000 times with over 600 comments after being on the Internet for only one day making it’s the 2nd most recently viewed video on YouTube.

To see his poetry in motion, check this out as Deron makes the Bull’s Kirk Hinrich look more like Kirk Douglas. Hinrich pays dearly for taking the first fake and just about topples over. Then there is this one where Williams pulls off the dreaded behind-the-back double crossover on a confused Jose Calderon from Toronto. Or this one where Williams drops a Jello-kneed Jaque Vaughn like a bag of rocks and in the process, Vaughn became ‘posterized’ as well as ‘posteriorized’.

In the past week or two I have watched Deron Williams go up against the likes of Chris Paul, Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups and the Jazz won each time. The next few games will bring Steve Nash and Tony Parker. If I had to pick among any of these great point-guards to build my team around right now I would pick Deron Williams hands down. In just his second full year as a starter, Williams amazes me more each time and I can only image how good he will be when he hits his prime in about 5 or 6 more years. In the meantime, when he’s not playing point-guard for the Jazz, I think he could headline at the Bellagio. No showgirls, no white tigers, just Deron Williams and his crossover. I would pay big money just to watch that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Tim Hardaway’s crossover and how hyped it was. I think Deron’s is better. It looks like he can go both ways and with a screen, he just keeps going back and forth until they are set up for the ankle breaker. Nice videos, wish I had more band width, it’s a little herky-jerky on my computer, but that’s probably how it looks to the other team trying to guard him.
Jazzaholic

Anonymous said...

I loved the ESPN guys chattering about D-Will the other night, seems that little discussion about Dwill vs chris paul was floating about and they soundly declared that such was way over with and D-Will was and is the undisputed winner of such. I think one said ‘chris who?’

I doubt that Derek was very surprised and how easily Deron could and would take him out. D-Will is on the road to greatness!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. On another post I put that D-Will’s nickname should be “The Human Torch” but I do like Houdini. Sickest crossover in the game. Just ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

hey, we saw too much of these guys in Big D. fortunately for us, both teams left their defense on the bus….